New PS5 Details Released!
Thanks to an interview on Wired with Mark Cerny (Sony’s lead architect on the console), we now know the first details and specs for the presumably named PlayStation 5, Sony’s next-gen console.
- CPU: a third generation AMD Ryzen line chip with 8 cores of the 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture
- GPU & Ray Tracing: Custom AMD Navi GPU, Ray Tracing Support
- Audio: the AMD chip has a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a video game
- Storage: SSD (Solid State Drive) which uses the new PCle 4.0 connection
- Resolution: Up to 8K support, assumed to include 4K
- Will most likely support backwards compatibility for PS4 games only
- PS5 won’t be digital only, will still use game discs
- Some games might release on both PS4 and PS5 initially
- PS5 will have cloud functionality in some form
- PSVR support has been confirmed
- No details yet on controller designs
The release date for the PS5 is around March or November 2020 according to current rumors, and will most likely cost $499.